Thursday, May 5, 2011

:(

I just realized that I left this blog laying in the dust...

I recently shut down my business. Here is the note I posted on the SCS page:
"Well, I've been thinking long and hard on how to approach this... So I'll just get it all out at once.

I started SCS last year on a whim, a way to make a few extra bucks to help pay the bills. I had to quit my job to stay home with our new baby and our oldest daughter because daycare was going to cost us more than I made at work. Which is insane.
At any rate, I tried my hand at sewing, something I've never done before. I did okay at it. I'm by no means a master seamstress, but I was having fun trying new things. Nothing makes my day more than a customer telling me they love what I made for them. That seriously makes me tear up, because I AM my own worst critic. It brought me a lot of joy to know that something was leaving my hands, something I worked hard on, and making someone else happy.

I've gone through 2 sewing machines, and about a thousand dollars worth of fabric. I've yet to break even. This has become more of a hobby than a business and I just can't afford to keep going. I love making stuff for my friends! You guys have been wonderful and I love ya'll! I just don't think I'm cut out to be a full time WAHM. I'm struggling to manage my time between running my household, my two kids, making time for friends and family, making time for my daughter's sports and choir, and everything else I need to do AND run SCS. I'm starting to atcually hate sewing and crafting, because it's become such a time/money sink and I don't want that to happen...

So it's with a heavy heart that I'm closing up shop. I've gave it a year to see where it would go, and unfortunatley it just hasn't worked out. Maybe I'll try again one day, but for now I just can't do it.

So what does that mean for now? All orders have been caught up. I won't be taking anymore sewing orders right now. I am trying to decide if I should sell my fabric or use it all up and throw everything on etsy.

To my crafty friends, if you see something you like, then PM me and i'll sell it to you on the cheap.

I am going to keep crocheting blankets for people, however, because it brings me such happiness and it's something I can take WITH me to soccer pratice and choir and doctors appointments. I can crochet in the same room as my toddler without worrying about her getting ahold of my rotary cutter. I don't have to lock myself in the office and have my little one crying at the gate because she wants me in the same room as her.

I will most likely be crocheting baby blankets and throws all summer and then putting them up for sale for the winter season.
So check back with us then for sure.

There are a few people I need to thank.

Alicja B. For giving me my very first sewing machine. Without her, SCS wouldn't have even existed.
Megs C. For all the advice, the help, the materials, and being a good friend through this whole thing.
My husband for encouraging my crazy ideas and giving me a chance to try this out, and for letting me buy WAY to much fabric and for putting up with my frustrations and crying and fits lol.
My testers for being my guinea pigs and giving me your honest thoughts.
All my bbs mama's who were my best customers and my good friends who pushed me to keep going. You guys are amazing. I love you.

And to my customers. You guys are great. I loved making things for you and I gotta say, you made it all worth it.

Thank you guys...
Sarah Romeo"


I'll leave this blog up for the cloth diaper info and reviews, but I am 99.9% sure I'll not be updating it anymore unless by some miracle I have another baby.
I AM always available for question and comments.
I hope that this blog might have served a purpose at least, all this time :(

No comments: